Monday, July 20, 2009

Hawaii Day 1 on Oahu

Let me first start off saying we had a wonderful trip to Hawaii and all the thanks goes to my parents and family for watching the 3 kids for us! Thank You! Not having to worry about the kids the whole time was a great relief, I knew they were in good hands. So our vacation started once we were on the airplane to Hawaii. Wow! I didn't know airplane rides could be so enjoyable. No, we were not in First Class, although it would have been nice, for sure. The nice thing about it was we didn't have kids that we had to struggle with just to stay in our laps. If there was a baby crying we knew that is wasn't ours, and we didn't have to worry about disturbing the people around us. Yes, it was absolute Heaven! So once we arrived in Hawaii we picked up our rental car and figured we would go straight to Pearl Harbor (we had a half a day still left). We went and saw the free sights at Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona Memorial. I have heard that it is the best out of all of them too. So you watch a little documentary about Pearl Harbor, and then you get on a boat and they take you out to see it. This is us on our way over. I think we are just so happy to have some time to ourselves. Again, thank you family!
This is what the memorial looks like on the outside. The entrance.

Inside is really neat! The architecture is cool too! I think the coolest thing was that everyone was very reverent and quiet the whole time we were at the memorial. I really like this picture, I love my country.
Still happy as ever to have some time to ourselves! Thanks mom and dad!!
These are all the names of the people this memorial is built for.
Here is the other boat that taxis people back and forth. So after we were done at Pearl Harbor, we decide to head on up to the North Shore, where we stayed at one of my friend's house. They just happen to be out of town the whole time we were in Oahu and they let us stay there while they were gone, how sweet is that. Let me just tell you that they are great people, they have a beautiful home and they have a lot of movies. I think we only got around to watching two of them though, we had lots of things to do. Thanks Megan and Keli'i!!!! On our drive to North Shore we took a detour and went all the way around the island, instead of cutting through like we should have. I blame it on the map that we had because it was all pieces of a big map, not one big one to see the whole island with, but that is okay because we almost saw the Magnum PI house. Anyway, this picture and the next two were on our drive. The drive was so pretty!
Could you imagine living here, talk about beautiful!! It was so nice to spend some time with Walter and not worry about the kids! So have I said thank you to my family? If I didn't then . . . Thank You!!!!

4 comments:

Ashley Cardon said...

Aww i am so jealous... i love hawaii! good times! you look great Shawntel! And im glad you had a fun time.... sigh... i love hawaii! im so excited to see u in a week!!!

Lovely Lisa said...

Yaaay! We loved Pearl Harbor, too. It's kind of cool to see how it was for someone who rented a car on Oahu. We were taking tour buses and trolleys everywhere.

Tracy said...

How fun that you guys got to go to Hawaii!! Love the pictures!

Kathryn Palmer said...

looks like heaven on earth. thanks for sharing photos. i look forward to seeing more!